*We have revised our refund policy in response to the global coronavirus pandemic – see below*
Wild Abundance is passionate about sharing skills and knowledge. We work to make our classes accessible to everyone who wants to learn, while also providing fair wages and compensation to our staff, instructors, and collaborators.
Standby Student FAQs
Due to the high demand of our classes, and the fact that some students have emergencies come up that make them unable to attend their classes, we have standby lists for many in person classes. If a class has reached its capacity, but still has room on the standby list, you’ll be able to register for the standby list right on the class page. If you do not see a message about standby registration at the top or bottom of the class page, then it means that the standby list is full for that class.
What does it mean to be a standby student? How is it different from the waitlist?
The standby list is different from our waitlist because you pay your tuition up front. This guarantees that you are at the top of line for a spot in the class if someone drops out. It is a great way to hugely increase your chances of getting into the class you want. You will get first priority (before the waitlist) if there is an opening in the class. If space does not open up in the class that you’re on the standby list for, you will receive a full refund.
In contrast to the standby list, it’s totally free to get on the waitlist! However, if there is an opening in the class, waitlist folks will get an email along with 500+ people (depending on the class you are interested in) and it will be a first-come, first-serve opportunity. Folks on the waitlist will only get this email when all folks on the standby list have gotten a spot in the class first.
So, basically, if you want to have a good chance of getting into a class when someone drops out… the standby list is for you!
What should I know before getting on the standby list?
The standby list is set up so that if someone drops out of the class, you will have already paid, will already have all the class welcome emails, and will get the next open spot. We will send you an email as soon as a spot becomes available to let you know when you have been accepted to the class.
You must agree to our terms and conditions to submit a registration. Please read these below before registering.
What are the chances I will get into the class from the standby list?
While we do not guarantee that you will get in the class if you are on the standby list, we have noticed in this past year, with the current state of the world being pretty crazy, we have a few dropouts leading up to most of our classes. So, there is a good chance you would get in to the class you are on the standby list for. We also keep the standby list pretty short so that folks who are on it are likely to get in. If you do not get into the class, you get a full refund for your payment within two weeks of the class running.
How do I get on the waitlist?
If you do not want to register for the standby list, you can go to the class page of the class you are interested in and find a form to get on the waitlist for that class. You will get notified of new class sessions and next year’s class dates, as they become available. This is totally free.
Standby Student Terms & Conditions
Before registering to be a standby student, you must read and agree to the following terms:
In order to be a standby student you must agree to and accept the following terms and conditions:
- The tuition is 100% refundable if you do not get a spot in the class. Refunds are processed within two weeks after the class runs. If you are granted access to the class 48 hours or more before the beginning of the class, and you are not able to attend, a refund will not be issued.
- You must be able to attend with 48 hours notice of class. We can offer entrance into the class with less than 48 hours, but you are not obligated to take the spot if there is less than 48 hours notice.
- Once you register as a standby student, you will only get a refund if you are not accepted into the class (or if we notify you of any opening less than 48 hours before the class, and you choose not to take the spot). If space opens up and you are accepted into the class, you will be held to the same refund policy that any registered student is held to (see below).
- For classes with multiple sessions, or if you want to be a standby student for multiple classes, you must pay to be a standby student for each individual session; you can’t register as a standby student for multiple sessions with the same registration. Standby tuition is non-transferrable.
- We do not provide a guarantee that you will gain entrance into the class. We do guarantee a refund after the class has run if we do not email you at least 48 hours before the beginning of class to let you know that you have a spot.
When submitting a registration to be a standby student, you will be required to check a box saying you have read and understood these terms to complete your registration. If you submit a registration, you will have agreed to these terms & conditions.
Refunds & Transfers
Need to Cancel Your Class?
Please read our refund and transfer policy below and then fill out this form to submit your class cancellation. We will get back to you as quickly as possible. Keep in mind that the sooner you submit your cancellation, the better able we are to help you!
We offer full refunds to any student who changes their mind about the in-person class they have signed up for within 48 hours of registering.
After that, we generally do not issue refunds for tuition payments of in-person classes. Wild Abundance is a small business that relies on tuition payments in order to offer our classes and programs. With this in mind, please be sure that you will be able to attend a class before registering. For information on refunds for online classes, see below.
If you are not able to attend a class, please notify us as soon as possible. It is possible that your spot can be used for a scholarship. If you have an emergency, you might even get a partial refund if we have enough notice, and we are able to fill your spot with a paying student.
We are generally not able to accommodate transfers. If there are other Wild Abundance classes that you’re interested in, we recommend you get on waitlists or standby lists for those classes.
Coronavirus Refund Policy
Updated April 5, 2022
We acknowledge that the spread of coronavirus and COVID-19 are serious and can feel scary. As a result, we ask that you carefully read and understand our refund policy (above) and our COVID-19 policy before registering for a class. We have a 48 hour window after registration that you can get a full refund, no questions asked. After this period, our refund policy remains firm. Please note the following in regards to how we handle classes due to COVID-19-based cancellations:
- If we are not able to run a class, due to safety or local regulations, it will either be rescheduled and/or taught in an online format (this is unlikely because our classroom is outdoors, but who knows what the future holds).
- No refunds are available for classes that change in timing or format.
- If you are not able to attend a class because of exposure to COVID-19, please contact us as soon as possible, and we will see what we can work out.
Refunds for Online Classes
We offer full refunds for our online classes within 2 weeks of purchase. In order to qualify for a refund, you must have watched at least 4 lessons within the class/program. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about refunds for online classes.
Payment plan options are available for some classes so that you can spread the cost out over time and break it up into more manageable chunks. We generally ask folks on a payment plan to pay, in total, a “middle” price on the sliding scale. For in-person classes, we will add a $75 admin fee to your total. This is for two reasons: first, payment plans are riskier for us because students may drop out of a class after making only one or two payments; second, keeping track of payments made, and reminding folks to make payments is more work on our part.
Our scholarship program focuses on building social and racial equity by sharing our offerings with Black, Latinx, Indigenous people, and People of Color (BIPOC). We occasionally offer scholarships to other groups based on financial need and/or involvement in community projects.
We understand that the advantages white people hold are a direct result of the exploitation of BIPOC, including their skills, knowledges, lands, labor, and other valuable resources. Additionally, we acknowledge that People of Color face institutional, cultural and socioeconomic barriers to “coming back to the land” and learning skills for self-sufficiency. These barriers are the result of biased and violent systems of power that explicitly undermine and marginalize BIPOC and deny them access to land, education, safety, and other resources.
Our intentions behind offering equity scholarships are to:
- Provide access to these skills for people who otherwise might not have the opportunity, due to the above mentioned systems, structures, and barriers.
- Support the representation and participation of BIPOC in the worlds of earth-based skills.
- Make a small but concrete offering towards acknowledgement and restitution to the communities who have been exploited for the material gain of white people and white culture, and from whom much of what we teach has been taken without consent.
In-Person Classes with Scholarship Opportunities:
Below is a list of classes that we will offer scholarships for in 2022, as well as the application and some information about what the scholarship includes:
- Permaculture Design Course
- Women’s Rewilding Retreat
- Women’s Basic Carpentry Class
- Natural Building and Tiny House Workshop
- Timber Framing Class
You can view the application for a scholarship for an in-person class by clicking here. In-person class scholarships include full tuition and free camping and do not include meals, camping gear, class gear, transportation, or lodging in an airbnb.
Online Classes with Scholarship Opportunities:
To apply for a scholarship for one of our online classes, please visit the individual class page. There, you will find a link to a scholarship application. Applications for online classes are evaluated on a rolling basis.